17°Cicon

icon Infocentrum: Due to the epidemiological situation, it is closed until further notice

icon icon icon
en arrow
  • Česky
  • Deutsch
icn
Discover the sights of the city of Aš

Discover the sights of the city of Aš

iconStart discovering
overlay overlay

Monuments

Your first steps while walking through the city should lead to the Aš Museum. Inspired by a tour and packed with information, he can set out to discover attractions and sights, of which there are many.

All

Choose the length of stay

icon icon icon

Day 1#

Tower Háj near city Aš

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car, public transport

Distance from IC:

1,9 km

Opening hours:

1.4.-31.10.daily, Mon-Sun: 9:00-17:00, summer months to 19:00

In 1860s, on a bare and unsightly hill, a few enthusiasts from Aš led by Jiří Unger, built a rest area with a forest park, which became the town´s pride.

The first plan to build an observation tower on that place appeared in 1874, but despite financial support from the town of Aš, the plan failed due to a lack of funds.

Funding and designs

The situation changed in 1895 thanks to the 80th birthday anniversary of the first German Chancellor Otto von Bismarck. In the year 1898, a committee for the construction of the tower chaired by Mayor Emil Schindler was founded. Members of other associations, including the German and Austrian Alpinist Association, the Association of Horticulturalists and Landscapers and the Union of Germans in Bohemia were among those involved in the Committee. The members of the committee called upon the citizens of Aš to make financial contributions towards the construction of the tower which was to be named after the honourable German Chancellor. Soon, sufficient financial funds were raised, and a German architect, Wilhelm Kreis, was commissioned to design the tower. Kreis was known as the father of Bismarck columns and Götterdämmerung (The Twighlight of Gods) design was awarded first prize by the Association of German Students. Until 1911, this design was used 47 times.

Kreis submitted two designs but both were rejected. Finally, the third design which was different from the traditional concept of Bismarck columns was unanimously approved. At 1901- art exhibition in Dresden, this design was awarded gold medal. In August 1902, a construction foreman from Aš - Ernst Hausner was commissioned to carry out the construction of the tower and a foreman Johannes Hörer of Steinpöhl was commissioned to supervise the construction of the tower.

icnmapa

Day 2#

The ruins of the Neuberg castle in Podhradí

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car, bus

Distance from IC:

5,9 km

Opening hours:

No (tower after borrowing keys at the municipal office)

They immediately gave the castle back to the family of Neuberg. The castle was later damaged by the troops of King Charles IV when its owners used the strategic location of the castle, which was near trade routes leading to Saxony, to carry out acts of banditry there.

From the year 1344, all the assets belonging to the Neubergs lying in the Aš Rrgion were gradually bought up by the House of Zedtwitz, who were related to the family of Neuberg. Conrad of Zedwitz acquired the Neuberg Castle in the year 1395 after he married Hedvika of Neuberg. In the year 1422, the Zedwitz estate was granted independence from Cheb by King Sigismund of Luxemburg, perhaps as a thanks for their non-participation in the Hussite Wars. As a result of that, the way of living in the Aš region changed, especially with regard to religion. Lutheranism started to spread in the region and soon it gained a powerful influence. In the 15th century, the Church of Good Shepherd was built near the castle and in year the 1610, the castle of Neuberg burnt down. Until then, it had served as the headquarters of the Zedwitz family who ruled the whole Aš headland. Then the Zedwitz split up and moved to new chateaus in Kopaniny, Doubrava, Smrčina and Podhradí. Materials from the ruined castle were used for the construction of the new chateau in Podhradí, which was located in the close proximity of the Neuberg castle.  The original appearance of the castle is not known. Only a 22-metre high tower standing on a 29,5-metre high headland has been preserved. The circumference of the tower is 19.2 meters.

icnmapa

Day 3#

Town hall

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car

Distance from IC:

442 m

Opening hours:

No

The Baroque building from 1733, built as the administrative center of the Zedtwitz estate, was destroyed by fire in 1814 and rebuilt between 1815 and 1816 according to plans by Angelus Pleffer from 1733. In 1885, the building was raised by a second floor and rebuilt into a pseudo-Renaissance form. After 1945, a museum was located here, later a city library. In 2003, the building was repaired and returned to its original purpose.

icnodkaz icnmapa

Day 4#

Goethe Square

Traffic:

On foot, bike

Distance from IC:

348 m

Opening hours:

No

The frequent stops of J. W. Goethe in Aš during his travels to Bohemia in the years 1806 - 1823 first led to the construction of a memorial plaque, which was located at the Pošta Hotel on the square. In 1932, a monument with a fountain was unveiled in the middle of the square. The author of the sculpture is J. Watzal. The reliefs on the pedestal represent scenes from Goethe's works. On the north side are the dates of Goethe's stops in Aš. The statue of Goethe is now located in the newly revitalized Goethe Square. The only depiction of Goethe in the Czech Republic with a mineral in hand. Thanks to the time TRIP application, which you can download to mobile devices or tablets, you can travel through time. Take a walk to Goethe Square in the early 20th century and prepare to meet J. W. Goethe, Gustav Geipel, Konrad Henlein, or a mythical figure called Nahřbetskoč.

icnmapa

Day 5#

Evangelical Church of the Good Shepherd

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car, bus

Distance from IC:

6,1 km

Opening hours:

Only by appointment at the info center

First there was a church from 1480 - 1490, built by the Zedtwitzs. Later, this nobility had the church rebuilt in the Baroque style, as its dimensions no longer suited the level of the Zedtwitz Podhrad estate and its capacity was already insufficient. Of the original church, only the tower remains. The tower of the church is square in the foundations, then octagonal on the floor. It is decorated with an onion-shaped dome. His nave is rectangular with a high roof, with small chapels on both sides. The interiors are wooden. No nails were used for their production, but pins. The interiors are decorated with a painting of angels by Rodius von Föslau from 1711. The altar and choir benches by Jindřich Šimon Zietler from Doubrava date from 1710. Of interest is the painting of the castle in the aedicule. It is assumed that this is the oldest depiction of the now defunct castle in Kopaniny.

icnmapa

Day 6#

The former church of St. Trinity

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car

Distance from IC:

534 m

Opening hours:

No

It was one of the most important historical monuments in Aš. It was built between 1747 and 1749 on the site of the original church from 1622. The nave had about 1,000 seats and, together with benches on three wooden galleries, the church provided space for 2,500 people. The Baroque altar of J. S. Zeitler from 1754 and the large organ from 1911 were among the most valuable furnishings of the church. During the repairs in January 1960, there was a fire in the church, which burned down completely within three hours. Later, the masonry of the tower was demolished. In 2003, the outline of the church foundations was marked with a wall and provided with a wooden cross.

icnmapa

Day 7#

Fire station

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car

Distance from IC:

320 m

Opening hours:

TUE-FRI 9:00-12:00 13:00-17:00 SAT-SUN 1.6-30.9 10:00-16:00 1.10-31.5 10:00-14:00

The building has served the citizens of Aš since October 18, 1931. It was designed by architect Emil Rösler and served as a library and armory for the city's volunteer firefighters and rescuers. It was renovated in 2014 and the first floor now houses the Museum of Aš.

icnodkaz icnmapa

Day 8#

Paper mill Doubrava

Length of the route:

8 km

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car, bus

Distance from IC:

8 km

Opening hours:

No

An extraordinary document of paper production in the territory of Aš. History of paper mills in Aš until the 16th - 17th century. The set of fragments of the former paper mill consists of the foundation of the paper mill buildings, a water drive, a stone grinding wheel, a Dutch Dutch tank dated 1750 and pulp mixing vats. The discovery of this monument took several years, in 2015 it was ceremoniously opened.

icnmapa

Day 9#

Memorial of Dr. Martin Luther

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car

Distance from IC:

563 m

Opening hours:

No

It is the only one of its kind in the Czech Republic

The memorial was unveiled in 1883 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the birth of Martin Luther. The author of the two-metre statue is J. Rössner from Nuremberg. The statue is located in the vicinity of an evangelical church and was cast in an art foundry in Nuremberg and the pedestal was made in the neighbouring town of Selb.

icnmapa

Day 10#

City cemetery

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car, public transport

Distance from IC:

1,9 km

Opening hours:

April-September: 8:00-19:00 October-March: 8:00-17:00

Already the only cemetery in Aš. The original chapel was demolished in the 1990s and was replaced by a mourning chapel. In the cemetery there is a memorial of the Prussian-Austrian war from 1866 and a memorial of World War II. On the spray paddle there is a statue "Nature" from 1985, the author of this statue is Jaroslav Bocker.

icnodkaz icnmapa

Day 11#

Stone bridge

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car

Distance from IC:

561 m

Opening hours:

No

The height of the arch is 3,2 meters and the overall height of the bridge up to the upper edge of the guardrail is 6.5 meters. The bridge is equipped with brick railing and the width of the bridge deck is 3.5 meters. The bridge was built in the year 1724 as a part of the cemetery expansion. After the local evangelical church burnt down (1960) and was demolished, the cemetery was shut down and as a result the bridge was not used anymore and lost its function. (the bridge is located about 50 meters from the Memorial of Martin Luther. 

icnmapa

Day 12#

Church of St. Nicholas

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car

Distance from IC:

338 m

Opening hours:

SUN 9:00 THURS,SAT,FRI,SAT 17:00 WED 8:00

The Roman Catholic Church was built near the site of the original late Baroque church from 1780 by the Franciscan architect K. Weidemann in the years 1867 - 1871 as a single-nave building with a transept and a 48-meter-high western tower. A memorial plaque from the original building is set in the north wall.

icnodkaz icnmapa

Day 13#

Salva Guardia

Traffic:

On foot, bike, car

Distance from IC:

269 m

Opening hours:

No

It is a stone relief with an imperial coat of arms and coats of arms, made on the basis of the right granted to the Zedtwitzs in a warrant from 1724. The coat of arms is a symbol of the city's liberation from compulsory army accommodation and possible looting. The relief was previously placed in the arch of the castle gate. After the fire, it was removed by the new owner and in 1892 it was built into the corner pillar of the garden of today's museum.

icnmapa

Day 14#

Beneš's stickleback

Traffic:

On foot, bike

Admission:

No

Distance from IC:

5,3 km

Duration:

1:35 h

Opening hours:

No

Benešův palouček is located on the outskirts of the city, right at the state border, near the border bollard 17/15. The place where Dr. Edvard Beneš illegally crossed the state border on September 1, 1915 during his dramatic escape from the c. And k. Monarchy under prof. Masaryk to Switzerland. The place where the history of independent Czechoslovakia began to take shape is today perfectly hidden from the sight of a casual observer. It is shrouded in wildlife, which prevailed in this border zone after 1951, at a time when the border was being wired by the communist regime. Why did Beneš start planning an escape from the monarchy at the age of 31? The reason is simple. He was threatened with arrest every day for his illegal activities in the domestic resistance organization Maffie. Several of his co-workers have already been caught by the police. Now it was his turn. The death penalty for high treason hung in the air. He visited Aš at the end of August 1915. Where he met his classmate and teammate from Prague's Slavia, Dr. Amerling. At that time, he stayed in Aš as a doctor in a military infirmary, located in the building of the Aš grammar school (now Okružní primary school and kindergarten), only about a kilometer away from the Bavarian border. 

Word got out and the trip was planned down to the smallest detail. Dr. Amerling, an army and army officer, was known to occasionally go to nearby Bavarian black beer pubs. He knew the path well, as did the movement of the Bavarian and Austrian border guards. On the first day of September, Dr. Beneš to Aš again. At noon on September 1, Dr. in a walking uniform goes out. Amerling dirt road towards the Bavarian border. He is followed by an inconspicuous man with a hat, hand luggage, backpack and fake passport - Edvard Beneš. Dr. Amerling holds a book in his hand, and if it hits the Bavarian patrol, he opens it behind his back. This is a signal for Beneš to hide. The nearest Bavarian railway station in Schönwald is a few kilometers away via forest roads. A Bavarian gendarme suddenly appears on the road, Beneš disappears in the undergrowth. Dr. Amerling lures the gendarme away, when he later returns to the meeting place, he no longer finds Beneš. In time, he received a ticket from Beneš that he had safely got to Hof by train, and from there via Munich to Geneva, Switzerland. In the spring of 1947, a commemorative still life was created on this site. A small coat of arms made of crushed stone, surrounded on three sides by a clay rampart, at the head of which a memorable date was drawn from a black and white mosaic. 1915

icnmapa

Day 15#

Villa Gustav Geipel

Traffic:

On foot, bike

Distance from IC:

190 m

Opening hours:

No

The villa was built in 1888 according to the plan of the Köhler & Pscher company, it was built by Gustav Geipel - the factory owner and patron of Aš. After his death, it was bought by the Fischer factory family.

icnmapa

Day 16#

Monument to Gustav Geipel

Traffic:

On foot, bicycle, public transport

Distance from IC:

1,1 km

Opening hours:

No

The monument was built in 1924, its author is Johannes Watzal. The monument is dedicated to the burgher of Aš and benefactor Gustav Geipel. In 2014, it was reconstructed to its original form, including a relief by Gustav Geipel.

icnmapa

Day 17#

Monument to Theodor Körner

Traffic:

On foot, bike

Distance from IC:

1,6 km

Opening hours:

No

The monument was unveiled in 1913 on the 100th anniversary of the death of T. Körner (* 1791 † 1813). In September 2013, SUPŠ created a new bust of T. Körner in Český Krumlov. Körner was an important German poet and soldier.

icnmapa

Day 18#

Monument to Friedrich Ludwig Jahn

Traffic:

On foot, bike

Distance from IC:

1,4 km

Opening hours:

No

The monument was unveiled in 1909 on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the existence of the Aš Physical Education Association. F. L. Jahn (* 1778 † 1852) was the founder of the physical education unit and in Germany he was called the father of gymnastics. In September 2013, SUPŠ created a new bust of F. L. Jahn in Český Krumlov.

icnmapa

Day 19#

Monument to Friedrich Schiller

Traffic:

On foot, bike

Distance from IC:

1,8 km

Opening hours:

No

The monument is dedicated to the famous German poet and friend J. W. Goethe. The memorial was unveiled in 1905. It consists of a memorial plaque and a relief with the face of F. Schiller. The monument was restored in 2014.

icnmapa