The whole of Austria felt the economic crisis. In 1814, a huge fire broke out in Aš, affecting a large part of the village, including the town hall and the castle on Mikulášský vrch. 167 houses and 78 barns fell victim to the flames. While the town hall was rebuilt two years later, the Zedtwitz castle in Aš did not see this restoration. After the disastrous crop failure of 1817 and the destruction of the crops a year later, a severe food shortage occurred. In 1850, the territory of Aš was expanded to include Hazlov, Polna and Skalka. The economic power of the Zedtwitz family ended. In 1854, the c. k. district court was established. Aš lost its autonomy except for the tax freedom. In 1872 Aš received the status of a town as a place with a population of more than ten thousand inhabitants.
The education system also underwent great changes. The Town Hall School, the burgher school, the Stone School and the music school were opened. Gradually, the number of inhabitants grew and so did the suburbs - Mokřiny and Krásná. This influenced other construction works, a new hospital, a gasworks, a waterworks, a municipal spa, a municipal museum and the buildings of a vocational textile school were completed.
Around the middle of the century, Aš bought the Háj hill and construction of a stone lookout tower, now known as the Bismarck tower, began. In 1883, a statue of Dr. Martin Luther was unveiled to mark the 400th anniversary of his birth.